Monday, February 21, 2011

Canasta and Mahjong......Yup......my sister!!!

Written by Wendy Joy

Canasta, anyone?!?
Something very frightening happened to me a couple of months ago.  I don't know how to say it,  let alone write it down,  but I must.....


Please be advised that the following content could be very upsetting.

I called my sister one day (I have two sisters and one brother and we are all very close) and I asked her to meet me for lunch. When I called her I was in a great mood and feeling very full of life. I am the youngest of four and there will always be a part of me that feels like the baby. A part of me feels like the youngest in the room even when I could be one of the oldest!  It's a part of my soul, a part of my makeup.....and I take my brother and sisters there with me. They are young too and for brief moments in life we are all four together again back at our suburban house that we grew up in. In my heart, we are forever young together.  OK,  back to the lunch. My sister told me that she couldn't meet me....and this is where it gets very scary for me.....she couldn't meet me because she was playing CANASTA.  Let's take a moment here.  I may have yelled at her, I'm not sure.  I'm still in shock and this happened months ago. Apparently she even got her husband into it now!  I'm very upset!

Canasta and Mahjong are for older people!!!  Not for us.  They are for people in their forties, fifties and up......I know, I know that is us but forget about that for a moment...... WHAT!?  Canasta?  When I think of Canasta and mahjong I think of older ladies on the beach with long nails clanking chips together and talking for hours on end.  I was the young bathing beauty that would walk by those ladies in disgust.  I'm being honest here. My young self could not comprehend the benefit of these games and to me it was a scary sentence of getting older.  So my dear sister who looks like Diane Lane and has the body of a 21 year old and is eight years older than me......is involved in these shenanigans. I'm telling you my head was spinning as she tried to explain how much she looks forward each week to meeting this same group of women to play this game. She explained how much these women mean to her and described the comraderie they have together.....I"m still thinking... "old....and maybe I can get her to stop before anyone finds out".
 Listen, I'm still recovering from this and I know she is still doing it once a week!  I don't mean to offend anyone here and I am hoping that someone can enlighten me and hold my hand through the process. Does playing Canasta and Mahjong mean that one is getting older?  Oooyyyy!  I know people that play that have full time jobs...they play on the weekends....so it doesn't always mean you have too much time on your hands.  But what about these games makes me think like this?
All I know is that my next post is going to be about the coolest restaurant that I ate at last night.  It was young and fun even though I truly could have been everyone's mother!!!


P.S.  Look what I just found!!! 

These young children are learning to play Mahjong.
In China it is taught to the young!
(please click here)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete