Of course we know how important a good diet is for good health. A good diet is also extremely important for bone health. There are actually foods that have a very negative effect on your bones. By negative effect it means that these foods can leach the minerals from your bones or they can block the bone's ability to regrow! Beware of these foods..........
- Salt.......will take calcium from your bones. (we get too much of our salt from processed foods. Try to avoid as much as possible deli meats, canned foods, frozen foods, pizza and fast food.
- Soft drinks......The fizziness in soft drinks often comes from phosphoric acid which is so bad for our bones (phosphoric acid increases the rate at which calcium is excreted in the urine
- Alcohol......prevents bone building minerals that you eat from being absorbed and drinking too much alcohol can interfere with bone healing if you do suffer a fracture. Limit your drinks to one a day.
- Caffeine.......caffeine's actions are similar to salt. It will take calcium from your bones. Limit coffee intake to one to two cups and try to avoid other caffeinated drinks.
- Vitamin A......... is found in eggs, full-fat dairy, liver, and vitamin fortified foods. It is very possible that we are getting more than the 5,000 IU's that is recommended for us daily. And experts believe that the 5,000 IU's is still too much for us girls over fifty. Studies show that women whose intake was over 5,000 IU's a day had more than double the fracture rate of women who were taking less than 1600 IU's! We must switch to non-fat dairy products.
- Hydrogenated Oils.....the process of hydrogenation, which turns liquid vegetable oil into the solid oils used in commercial baking destroys the Vitamin K naturally found in the oil. Vitamin K is essential for strong bones. Not much Vitamin K is taken from the oil so you need only be concerned if you are a big lover of baked goods like muffins and cookies. But if you are eating your green leafy veggies you do not need to worry because they are a great source of Vitamin K.