Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A lasting manicure


My manicures rarely last a whole week.  In fact if a manicure lasts for three days I'm happy.  I have a dog so I am always washing my hands especially before I touch food.  I've thought about getting a gel manicure so many times over the years.  Whenever I see one it is just so perfect looking.  Now my nail salon has a new one.  It is just a "special" nail polish.  That's it.   But then you have to set the polish in the UV rays.  It lasts for 2-3 weeks.  So tempting until I read an article in "Good Housekeeping" magazine.
The article stated that the gel manicures GH tested contained ingredients that may cause skin redness, itching, and or swelling.  Two of the products contain toxic chemicals.  One may be a possible carcinogen and one can cause reproductive harm.  Both are included on the California Proposition 65 list of toxic chemicals.  Four of the systems recommend using UV light to "set" the gel.  Excessive UV exposure is linked to skin cancer.  And I would also think that it would increase wrinkles.  (which I have enough of already on my hands)  And then to remove the gel you have to soak in an acetone solution for up to 15 minutes.  That can't be good for your skin.  GH says steer clear.  We've always trusted GH and I have to say that I definitely agree with this one.  I will not get a gel manicure.  Will you?


via Good Housekeeping

I am going to try Revlon ColorStay Longwear Nail Enamel which is is supposed to last 11 days when used with the brand's base and top coats.  It was tested in the Good Housekeeping Lab and results were that it lasted an average of 7.7 days.  Still pretty impressive!  ($8)  Participants also said that their nails stayed shinier longer and the polish was easy to remove and did not stain.


p.s.  The products that GH tested.

        for professional use
  • CND Shellac
  • Gelish Soak-Off Gel Polish
  • Jessica Professional Geleration
  • Le Chat/Nobility Competition Gel
  • NSI Polish Pro
  • OPI Axxium Soak-Off Gel Lacquer
  • Orly GelFX
       for at home use
  • Couture Gel Nail Polish
  • Nutra Nail
  • Red Carpet Manicure        





 

No comments:

Post a Comment