Monday, June 4, 2012

Somewhere in Time at the Grand Hotel

One of my favorite movies is "Somewhere in Time"  with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.  It is such a romantic movie.  In the movie Christopher Reeve's character, Richard Collier,  travels back in time to the year 1912.  The movie is a little mind-boggling. In the present he meets an elderly women who hands him a watch and says "come back to me."  Years later at the Grand Hotel  Richard Collier sees a photograph on the wall of a beautiful young woman and realizes that she is the elderly woman he met eight years earlier.  He falls in love with her from the picture (I think) and wants to travel back in time to be with her when she was a young woman.   I also love the movie because the woman's name is Elise.  (same as mine except spelled differently)  And the music throughout the movie.  Rachmaninoff.  ....so hauntingly beautiful!  I have always been intrigued with the thought of possibly time traveling.  I have always wanted to travel back in time,  not to the future.  If you could pick a time period to time travel to what would you choose?  And what location would you like to travel to?

This is the Grand Hotel where "Somewhere in Time was filmed."  It is on Mackinac Island in Michigan. No cars are allowed on the island.  Transportation is horse and buggy or bicycle.  When you get off the ferry you are greeted by horse and buggy taxis to take you to your hotel.  In the past 125 years the island has virtually not changed.   Mackinac Island is famous for their fudge and have many sweet shops where you can sample it.  I read that when you are on the island you truly feel like you are back in time!

Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is being added to my list of places I have to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment