Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Berries.





I love berries.  I love Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries and Blackberries.  And this winter I have been finding the sweetest berries.  I have been going to "Stop and Shop" and the berries have been fresh, sweet and delicious.  But I always feel like I have to be in a rush to eat them.  I feel like if I wait more than a day little fuzzies are going to start growing on them.  Do you agree?  And the berries are not cheap!  Browsing the web I came across some helpful info to keep berries from getting moldy.  (whether I do this or not is the question but it really sounds like it works great!)




"Wash them with vinegar.
A friend of mine shared this tip with me a few weeks ago, and it really, really works. When you get your berries home, prepare a mixture of one part vinegar (white or apple cider probably work best) and ten parts water.  Dump the berries into the mixture and swirl around. Drain, rinse if you want (though the mixture is so diluted I find you can't taste the vinegar,) and pop in the fridge.
The vinegar kills any mold spores and other bacteria that might be on the surface of the fruit, and voila! Raspberries will last a week or more, and I've had strawberries go almost two weeks without getting moldy and soft. So go forth and stock up on those pricey little gems, knowing they'll stay fresh as long as it takes you to eat them."
The above info is from foodlushblog.com.  Great info.  You can visit their site here.

Some berry info:
Berries are chock full of anti-inflammatories,  which may reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease.  The darker berries are always more potent.

(was about to take a pic of the berries I bought last night and my phone stopped working.  For now I uploaded this photo via "Fotolia.")


No comments:

Post a Comment